Friday, August 23, 2013

Haunted

Here’s your drink… I can’t thank you enough for coming over! Although I know we've had our differences in the past, I've been going through such a stressful time the last few months, and I just didn't know who else to turn to.  I've been keeping something to myself, and it’s been tearing me apart.

As you know, I had my appendix out back in March. And I figured it was a procedure that most surgeons could do with their eyes closed. No one knows exactly what happened…or I should say that no one will admit to what happened – I’m leaving that up to the lawyers to sort out – but at some point during the operation my heart stopped, and I was officially, clinically dead.

People are asking me all the time now, “So is there life after death?” and I can say unequivocally that there is. My biggest mistake was bringing some of it back with me. I can see you are skeptical, but please…hear me out.

It wasn't intentional. I followed the light; I was assigned a guide who I thought was my mother. She passed away when I was four so my memory of her is sketchy, but this spirit looked so much like me, I just sort of assumed…I had no idea she was really an imposter. 

So in any case, when they hit me with the defibrillator and wrenched me back into my body, she held on and came back with me, and my life has been a living hell ever since.

When I’m trying to sleep, she will not stop screaming. It’s been weeks since I've had a good night’s sleep...I think she’s trying to break me down so she can take over my body. She’s already tried a few times, and almost succeeded once. I could feel her taking hold, and it took everything I had to fight her off. Oh, and the visage she used to trick me? It didn't make the jump, so now I see her as she really is, and she is…well…horrifying.

It’s like I have my own personal fucking banshee following me around everywhere I go. 

I’m sorry…I’m just at my wit’s end! I can lose her for periods of time, and I think I've figured out how to get rid of her completely, but I need your help.

What? Why are you looking at me like tha…? Oh. She’s behind me, isn't she? 

CameBackHaunted2

See, that’s why I asked you to come over. I know you’re a believer in this sort of thing, and I was hoping if I told you about her, that she’d show herself to you. 

Oh wow, you’re not looking so well…would you like to lie down? Here let me help you. I guess you’re finally feeling the effects of that drug I put in your drink. It should paralyze you just long enough for my companion here to take over your body.  

I’m sorry it has to be this way, but to be honest? I've never really liked you. So better you than me, right? But I’m not completely heartless; once she’s settled in I promise I’ll make your death as quick as possible. I sort of have to, so she doesn't have time to get back out. Then you can take her back where she belongs.

Now brace yourself…this is going to hurt a little.

For The Writer's Block - Chapter 2 - Can You Keep A Secret?
Chapter 1 can be found here. (Adults only)

No comments: